Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Meet the Artist: Barb Maddox

 Interview with Art Jeweler Barb Maddox
See Barb’s jewelry as part of the Curiosities exhibition on display at the Prairie Art Alliance Gallery in the Hoogland until June 19th.

How did you start making intricate beaded jewelry?

It all started with stretchy bracelets and cheap beads. That lasted about a month. Then I found clasps and real beading thread and in magazines. Wow, did that open my eyes!

Do you work on a loom or create freehand?

I work freehand on an embroidery hoop, stiff interfacing, and an outline of the finished shape.
Where does the inspiration for a piece of jewelry come from?

My designs are usually inspired by the focal bead(s).

Where do you find amazing focal beads like the Coi Fish or the Virgo Head?

These beads are found in bead stores, locally at LaBeadOh and wherever I travel. The Coi was given to me as a broken broche that couldn't be fixed. What a gift to me! Since I am a Virgo, I'm always looking for beautiful representations of my astrological sign. I found her in a bead supply catalog along with the Deco butterfly.


How many hours does a piece like the Triangular Butterfly Necklace take?


How long does it take? That is the question. It is so very hard to say because my pieces aren't finished until I absolutely like every design aspect of the piece. I bead and I unbead until I am satisfied with the area.  I design the overall piece through the inspiration, shape, style or color of the focal piece. The lines contained in the Deco butterfly dictated to me the three vertical panels of the triangle. The beading is free flowing from that point on, playing with color and contrast of shape and texture.


What is your favorite part about the creative process?

My favorite part of creating is playing with color, conveying mood, and adding sparkle when needed. The Deco butterfly doesn't have a lot of sparkl,e but I played with textures a lot instead.

What is next for you as an artist?

More beading!  I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment